My vision of the dress was already growing in my mind as I assembled the materials and everything fell into place at an amazing speed! My first goal was to get the artificial branches onto a belt I made with heavy gauge wire. It was a simple task of bending it into a hook and loop for easy removal later when I draped the fabric on for the top part of the dress. You can see a close up pictured below. The branches did not reach the floor but I had enough short pieces that were attached to other branches to extend things and fill it up so there were not gaps.
When I decorate, I always sort my ornaments by size and colour then start with the largest dominant colour and work my way down. But for this situation, things were different. I had several feet of gold beading and I worried that I might not have sufficient ornaments for a full effect. I decided to create a "border" on the hemline to shorten my space needing decorations. I gathered the beaded garland up evenly and tacked a bow at each gather. I got a little carried away with so much beading but I'm happy to say that the effect was better than I imagined.
I added a few more brown bows to complement the border ones.
Next came the ornaments starting with my most plentiful item, the gold sparkly onion wire balls. and followed by my feathers. The Hydrangeas were last in this case as they are fragile and as an afterthought, I'd definitely go with silk for a more permanent display.
During my search for free natural decor items, I had collected ornamental grasses that resembled feathers and decided to fill out the back with a showy display of a tail. The outcome was fun and magical!
I had enough gold beading to make my lady a matching necklace as well! I was so very pleased with the results of this challenge. Be sure to watch the video below!
Now on to the accessories to enhance our Dickens Christmas display!
I wrapped some empty Christmas light boxes in brown coat paper and tied them up with string for a nice rustic touch.