The door is part of a souvenir shop made to look like a castle that will be brought to the Prescott waterfront site when the festival begins on July 18, 2015. This year Romeo & Juliette and The Comedy of Errors will be playing at the outdoor amphitheatre there. If you have an interest, check dates and times HERE!
My contact is Ron Noseworthy, a loyal supporter of the arts and local businesses who is donating labour and materials to build the castle/souvenir shop. Ron's also the president of Mapleview Homes, a housing development in downtown Prescott which is a definite plus when you're looking for construction volunteers! Be sure to check out their model homes! An upbeat guy with obviously a creative and enthusiastic mind, we hit it off right from the get go. We brainstormed ideas to give this castle door just the right rustic appeal. My work was cut out for me no pun intended. Check out what they've done already!
Ron, true to his word provided me with a scrap piece of the wood I'd be working on so I could practice staining. I reviewed some Youtube videos on techniques using vinegar and steel wool to further age the wood to a weathered grey. But I don't have 4 days to wait for the mixture to be ready. Darn! Next was aging with baking soda. It turns out that pine doesn't contain sufficient tannins to react with baking soda (and probably not with the vinegar either I was thinking). I made some tea in the hopes of adding tannins. No dice. Minwax driftwood was my only hope and it just so happened I had a full quart! As it's an interior stain I researched how to protect it outside. The solution? A flat finish exterior Spar Varathane. I played with the sample again, distressing the wood to give it character. By hitting it with a screwdriverI could see how the stain would take. It seemed to look effective but it's hard to tell on a small scrap.
It was inevitable that there would be delays in getting the doors finished what with them now being arch shaped. Oh but I was chomping at the bit to get started. After much nail biting, I'm happy to report the doors arrived in plenty of time. They also gave me the now cut and painted door hinges, which seemed a tad thick, but I digress! Despite a slight design change in that instead of two solid doors, we are now dealing with two bifold doors. they looked gorgeous. The panelling was perfect! The hinges are merely a necessity.
In time the fumes repelled those pesky creatures and I was able to turn my attention to the wood hinges. Admiring the woodgrain, I thought about the new challenge while the stain dried. They had informed that because of the bifold hinge, there would need to be a cut made to the fake wood hinges and wanted my opinion. Once the solution had soaked in and I wiped off the excess, I laid a wooden hinge back from the bifold to see how it would look if it were shorter (instead of cutting it). It was clear that the thickness would pose a bigger problem. Long or short, the thick wood interfered with the doors opening fully. I felt bad for whoever had cut all these beautiful pieces and wished I'd been clearer on the importance of finding a thin wood veneer for the job. Now the challenge was to find a suitable material. Only five days left! I may have to paint faux hinges; something else I've never done. My main concern would be having them look very realistic if Ron takes me up on my offer. It's all in the shadows I keep telling myself. Once again I used the practice scrap and painted miniature hinges, drawing a fine shadow underneath by watering down the black. It wasn't too bad. Maybe with the 3D nails installed it would be even more convincing. I felt up to it on the full size version.
I broke the news to Ron about the hinges and made my offer. What a persistent guy! He wants to try remaking them in a flatter wood veneer. If I must I will show him some scraps I spotted at the work site that could be used. I brought back one complete hinge for a template so they could get started right away. Time is ticking away! Time.... thou ceaseless lackey to eternity!