Every Wednesday I try to post updates on current painting projects. After pushing Christine aside for almost a month to complete a commission in time for Christmas, I'm free to put in the last few hours on finishing her portrait.
The last time my brush touched this canvas, I had discovered that I was not paying enough attention to colour checking. Her shirt instead of being white was actually a medium taupe when compared to white. What a shock! So I mixed up this dark colour and reluctantly applied it everywhere. I did my best to have faith that this would still look fabulous once I was done and surprise, suprise, it does! It's all about placement and how each colour reflects next to the other. The shirt miraculously still appears to be white'ish. It's the weirdest thing for a relatively new artist. I am constantly amazed at the things I discover.
Next was painting on the tiny floral pattern all over her shirt. Of course I had sketched them in at the beginning, but hindsight tells me that watercolour pencils are only good in certain applications. The first coat of paint washed out the markings and completely obliterated any sign of them. It was frustrating, but meh, a learning curve nevertheless, so on they must go ...again.
Addendum: This portrait has already sold and I made the delivery this summer. ! Her older sister purchased it before the paint dried.